Joseph (“Joe”) Beachboard is a nationally recognized expert on labor and employment law issues who joined Ogletree Deakins in 2001. He helps employers avoid work-related legal exposure, including providing training to a variety of high-profile organizations. He regularly speaks at large employment law conferences around the country and has been quoted in a number of prestigious publications, including The Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, National Law Journal, and HR Magazine.
Since 2001, Joe has served as the chair of Ogletree Deakins’ Client Services Committee–which oversees the marketing, business development, publications, events, and other strategic initiatives of the firm. In this capacity, he works directly with the firm’s 53 offices and 850 attorneys. Joe and the Client Services Committee also are responsible for ensuring the firm’s clients receive premier service.
Joe brings a strong business perspective to his practice, formed in part by the 10 years he served as President of The Labor Letters Inc. prior to joining the firm. The Labor Letters, Inc. provided information services, resources, and practical advice to 10,000 employers on labor and employment law developments in 26 states. Before his decade in the business world, Joe practiced law at Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker in Los Angeles.
While Joe has engaged in active litigation on behalf of management in the past, today his practice focuses on advising employers to help them avoid or limit employment-related liability. In addition, he has developed an expertise in providing informative and engaging training programs–and has worked with dozens of companies around the country, including a number of high-profile organizations with unique needs. Among others, he has trained:
- The cast and crew of dozens of NBC television shows, including The Office, Law & Order, The Tonight Show, Access Hollywood, House, Parks and Recreation, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Mindy Project, Grimm, and Parenthood;
- NASCAR teams of Hendrick Motorsports drivers Jimmie Johnson (#48) and Jeff Gordon (#24);
- The contestants, judges, and crew of several competition shows, including So You Think You Can Dance, Rising Star, Restaurant Startup, and Master Chef;
- The leadership team at multiple entertainment companies, including Dick Clark Productions, Core Media Group, Endemol Shine North America, Starz, and Film Roman;
- Supervisors and managers of Larry Flynt Publishing in Los Angeles; and
- The leadership of several large labor organizations in California, including Service Employees International Union Local 1000 and the California School Employees Association.
Joe and the firm have produced two series of the popular video, entitled “Are You Smarter Than An HR Professional,” that has been used by hundreds of employers and HR organizations to demonstrate the common disconnect between management and employees.