Stephen L. Berry is the Chair of Paul Hastings LLP’s Employment Law Department in the firm’s Orange County office. He concentrates his practice in the representation of public and private employers in all aspects of employment law and labor relations, including defense of wage and hour, class action, and discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, and whistleblower lawsuits; union organizing and decertification campaigns, contract negotiations, strikes and arbitrations; and administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, California Fair Employment and Housing Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, and other federal and state agencies. Mr. Berry also provides preventative counseling and training in all of these areas. Mr. Berry’s clients include major foreign and domestic-based international employers, including biotechnology and technology firms, automobile makers, banks and financial institutions, insurance companies, entertainment companies, manufacturing firms, and defense contractors. Mr. Berry is a Fellow in the American College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, and has been named in Best Lawyers' 2015 Orange County Labor Law – Management; continuously named in The Best Lawyers in America since 2004, and was named "Management Employment Lawyer of the Year" for the Orange County, California area by The Best Lawyers in America in 2011 and 2012. He received his J.D. degree from the J. Reuben Clark School of Law at BYU, where he was an associate editor of the Utah Bar Journal and was a member of the Order of Barristers. Mr. Berry is admitted to practice in California. He has been an IAML faculty member for over 15 years, and is a frequent lecturer on employment law topics.
- J. Reuben Clark School of Law at Brigham Young University, J.D. (Associate Editor of the Utah Bar Journal; Order of Barristers), 1981
- Brigham Young University, B.S. (cum laude), 1978
Honors & Awards
- Named Best Lawyers' 2015 Orange County labor Law - Management "Lawyer of the Year".
- Continuously named in The Best Lawyers in America since 2004, and was named "Management Employment Lawyer of the Year" for the Orange County, California area by that publication in 2011 and 2012
- Named to "Top Labor and Employment Lawyers of 2012" by the Daily Journal
- Won complete summary judgment in two wage and hour class actions and 42 individual cases
- Defeated class certification in an exempt misclassification case
- Defeated claims at arbitration by a former partner in a law firm and obtained a judgment against the former partner in an amount exceeding $100,000
- Defeated claims of whistleblower retaliation at arbitration by the former head of sales for a medical device company
- Leads collective bargainging negotiations for the Los Angeles/Long Beach Harbor Employers Association (formed by 14 of the largest container shipping companies and terminal operators in the world) with ILWU Local 63, Office Clerical Unit