As a partner in the Chicago and Grand Rapids offices of Barnes & Thornburg, Amy J. Zdravecky is a member of the firm’s Labor and Employment Law Department and counsels employers throughout the country on traditional labor relations and employment law matters. Amy focuses specifically on National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) proceedings, union-organizing campaigns and NLRB elections, arbitrations, collective bargaining and other contract negotiations and employment discrimination issues.
Amy has significant experience representing employers in retail, hospitality, warehouse, distribution, manufacturing, food production, transportation and healthcare industries. She counsels and trains clients on employee relations, union avoidance, collective bargaining strategies, sexual harassment, and compliance with state and federal employment laws and has a deep understanding of Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
Her significant representations include:
- Represented numerous hospitality organizations in negotiations, union organizing campaigns and arbitrations involving UNITE HERE
- Represented nationwide meat packing company, airline catering company, distributor of sundry products and Midwestern grain company in numerous union organizing drives, NLRB-proceedings, and/or union certification and decertification elections, involving the UFCW, the RWDSU, Steelworkers and Teamsters Unions
- Served as chief labor negotiator during several initial and successive contracts involving the SEIU, the Teamsters, UNITE HERE, RWDSU, UFCW, the Utility Workers and the Steelworkers Unions
- Retained by several national employers with more than 50 U.S. locations to conduct positive employer relations training and union vulnerability audits and assessments at numerous locations
- Represented numerous clients in various industries in WARN Act litigation, including class action litigation
- Successfully represented client in a jury trial in a case involving alleged claims of age and disability discrimination
- Active in the legal community, Amy is a fellow of the American College of Labor and Employment Lawyers and is a member of the American Bar Association and its Labor and Employment Section and Subcommittee on the Development of the Law under the NLRA. She is a frequent author and speaker on employment law and NLRB issues.
Amy was recognized on the Illinois Super Lawyer list for Employment & Labor in 2017 and in Chambers USA from 2009-present. She has been listed in Leading Lawyers from 2014-present for her labor and employment work and is rated “AV® Peer Review Rated," by her peers as listed in Martindale-Hubbell®.
She is admitted to practice in Illinois, Michigan and Georgia and also before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois, the Western District of Michigan and the Middle and Northern Districts of Georgia. She is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit and the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals.
Amy earned her J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School and a B.A. from the University of Michigan.